Queanbeyan Landcare Inc. has its origins in the Trees for Queanbeyan Committee which started in 1991 and incorporated as a Landcare Group in 1997. Membership is now about 40 residents.
In the early years, the emphasis was on establishing neighbourhood plantings and this was a success, with about 20 sites thriving with more than 4,000 trees planted.
In recent years, activities has widened to more than 10 current projects. In addition, Queanbeyan Landcare participates in regional Landcare networks such as The Molonglo Catchment Group, and the Upper Murrumbidgee Landcare Group, Local Land Services and contributes to local planning processes, such as the Queanbeyan Palerang Regional Council. Importantly, we work with other community groups, to achieve environmental restoration (Fernleigh Park, Bicentennial Park, Stringybark Reserve, Mnt Jerrabimberra), community facilities, such as new bikeways along the Queanbeyan River, the Community Gardens in Henderson Road.
2017 Active Projects:
- Queanbeyan Railway Station clean-up and horticulture
- Fernleigh Park Group (Googong)
- The Poplars (Kinlyside Ave, Jerrabomberra)
- MCG QCC QLc Stringybark/Environa Project - the Advisory Group
- Environa – Pott’s Creek /Jasper’s Gorge Project
- Wandyali Trust
- Queanbeyan Bi-centennial Park Group
- Queanbeyan Landcare Mount Jerrabomberra Group
- Peter Barrer Fauna Reserve - Fairlane Estate (Pink Legless Lizard (Aprasia parapulchella ))
- Candlebark Parklet
- Buttles's Creek (Queanbeyan CBD)
- Stringybark Reserve
- Friends of Mnt Jerrabomberra Stringybark Buschcare Group
... and more.